Certain pop songs have that moment, when everything seems to change but still remain the same, when the drama gets ratcheted up, when the tension increases and our emotions take an elevator ride to the heavens. From Beyoncé to Johnny Cash, savvy pop songwriters know a well-placed harmonic modulation can leave listeners reeling. But what is this mysterious musical trick, and how does it work? Tune in and let us take you higher, and higher, and higher, as we explore the wild world of modulation.
- One Direction – Night Changes
- Taylor Swift – Love Story
- Backstreet Boys – I Want it That Way
- Stevie Wonder – Knocks Me Off my Feet
- Beyonce – Love On Top
- Whitney Houston – I Will Always Love You
- Mozart – Queen of the Night Aria
- Michael Jackson – Man in the Mirror
- The Beatles – Penny Lane
- Johnny Cash – Walk the Line
Hear more of Dru Cutler’s work at www.drucutler.com
Also check out the Spotify playlist of listeners favorite modulations in popular music.