As much as we might have crazy love for pop music, pop music also loves to drive us crazy. Earworms that grab you and won’t let go; cookie-cutter compositions that bedevil in their unoriginality; strange new sounds that vex, rankle, confound. How does pop music possess the unique ability to get under our skin? We pull apart some of the stickiest songs to try and find out.
Get tickets to join Charlie in Los Angeles at the Lyric-Hyperion theater for a live version of Switched On Pop.
And listen to our playlist of songs that drive you mad on Spotify.
- The Fine Young Cannibals – She Drives Me Crazy
- The Backstreet Boys – I Want It That Way
- Katy Perry – California Girls
- Kesha – Tik Tok
- Mozart – Piano Concerto No.20 in D minor, K.466
- Grady Smith – Why Country Music Was Awful in 2013
- Grady Smith – Country Stars Who Don’t Like Their Own Records
- Fletcher Hederson – The Stampede
- Skrillex – Bangarang
- Elvis Presley – Jailhouse Rock
- Kylie Minogue – Can’t Get You Out Of My Head