The Weeknd’s deliriously funky chart topper “Can’t Feel My Face” has sparked sweat-soaked dance sessions across the country, but dark notes lurk at the outskirts of this ebullient jam. Chromatic intrusions and Classical laments crowd the scene and invite more clandestine interpretations. What’s this song really about? The secret lies in the scale.
- The Weeknd – Wicked Games
- The Weeknd – Earned It
- The Weeknd – Can’t Feel My Face
- L’Arpeggiata – Monteverdi ‘s Amor (Lamento Della Ninfa, Rappresentativo)
- Skrillex & Diplo – Where Are Ü Now (with Justin Bieber)
* You can find more deceptively addictive songs in our Spotify playlist.
**Alex Ross’s great chapter on the long lineage of the Lament is indispensable. Find it in his book Listen to This and a précis of it at his blog The Rest is Noise.